Vasco da Gama reached Calicut, India’s coastal city on May 20, in the year 1498. This Indian search was the beginning of trade and cultural exchanges in a way. Let’s know some interesting facts related to Vasco da Gama.
1. Historians are not unanimous when Vasco da Gama was born. According to some 1460 and according to other historians, Vasco da Gama was born in 1469 in a coastal town of Portugal.
2. Vasco da Gama was the first person in history to find a way to reach India through the Atlantic Ocean and Indian Ocean through the coast of Africa instead of the Mediterranean Sea.
3. Prior to Vasco da Gama’s arrival in India, thousands of people who had gone in search of India had lost their lives in the sea.
4. Vasco De Gama started his journey from Portugal on July 8, 1497. He had four ships and 170 men with him.
5. Those ships were named San Gabriel, Sao Rafael and Barrio. There was no name for the fourth ship. It was just for carrying stuff.
6. Vasco da Gama reached Calicut, India’s coastal city on May 20, 1498.
7. During the return, most colleagues with Vasco da Gama died from Scurvy. Scurvy is one kind of blood decease.
8. After that Vasco da Gama came to India twice.
9. During the third visit, he died due to Malaria in India. A church in Fort Kochi near Kerala’s Kochi city is the grave of Vasco da Gama.
10. This search opened the way for the Portuguese to come to India and establish their business here.